Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vegan Sweetzels-crumb Apple Pie



If you don’t know what Sweetzels are, they’re a Philadelphia ginger snap cookie. You could use any ginger snap cookie you want.

My boyfriend is really into them, and we had a bunch of apples left over from our apple picking a couple weeks ago. I’d already made apple crumble a million times, so I decided to tackle pie, but I wanted to put a bit of a twist to it— so I made Sweetzels crumb pie!

Pie Crust
I used the easy piecrust recipe from Vegan Lunch Box:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt3
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
5 -7 tablespoons ice water, as needed
Mix together the flour and salt, then dot the shortening into the flour and mix with your fingers until it’s like cornmeal with no big lumps left. Stir in the ice water a tablespoon at a time until it can form a ball. Roll out so it’ll fit a 9” pie pan.

Filling
3 large apples, sliced very thin
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
I just sort of winged this part- I added some corn starch to thicken the apples a little, and some brown sugar and cinnamon. You could add allspice, ginger, raisins, cranberries, nuts, whatever you like!
I arranged the apples in neat rings around the pie pan to make sure they were distributed evenly in the pie, just to be sure.

Crumb topping
I winged this part too!
10 Sweetzels cookies, smashed to crumbs
2 tablespoons margarine
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
I mixed the flour, margarine and cinnamon together to make crumbs, and then added the cookies and mixed. I added this on top of the apples.
Next time I’m going to try melting margarine and brown sugar to make a caramel- type syrup and add it on top of the apples and then sprinkle the cookies on top.

Bake in an oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment