Monday, December 13, 2010

Cranberry Orange Jam



I realized today that I had oranges and cranberries in the fridge that needed to be used ASAP, and jelly jars and pectin, so I looked up a recipe for Cranberry Marmalade. I used the first one I found on google and it worked pretty well— with a few small issues.

I didn’t have enough cranberries (just one bag, which is under 1lb) so I added 1 extra orange. Maybe I should’ve added two, because it didn’t add up to 5 cups of fruit at the end. So I added a cup of cranberry juice I had lying around, and hoped it would work. Then I didn’t have liquid pectin, but of course I’m an idiot and didn’t read the dry pectin instructions first, so I just dumped it all in after the sugar and it clumped terribly. So then I fished out all the clumps, mixed pectin with some of the juice, and then mixed that mixture in- and it seemed to be ok. I also added rosemary because I love it with sweet things.

Then there were still a few clumps of pectin in there, so I decided to strain the whole thing and make jam/ jelly instead of marmalade. It’s been a few hours and has set but is still a little watery, so I’m not sure if it’ll set completely, but it’s good enough, and the taste is GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment