Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grandma’s Thanksgiving Corn Relish



My grandma makes this every Thanksgiving, and it’s one of my favorite things to spread over every vegetable. It's sweet, spicy, smoky, and complex. I should have canned these properly and added some more vinegar, but I didn't this time around.




2 large red bell peppers (I used one yellow, one red)
1/4 c cider vinegar
3T maple syrup
2 tsp hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/3c veg oil
3 cans of corn, drained (frozen corn is good too)
1/2 c sliced green onions (I left these out because my boyfriend is allergic to onions)

Roast peppers until blackened. Let stand and then peel, seed and chop.
Combine vinegar, syrup, pepper sauce, turmeric and salt in large bowl.
Gradually whisk in oil. Add peppers, corn and onions and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. This makes a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment